Salt Lake City Personal Injury Lawyer
We're all one accident away from a life-changing injury. Injuries don't discriminate, and they happen every day, yet when you've been hurt in an accident, the reality of it can make you feel completely alone. On top of the loneliness, frustration, and stress, the legal process necessary to make yourself “whole” again can be confusing and complicated.
That's why Andrus Law Firm exists. It's about being there for you when you need us most. Our main goal is to speak up for you when you can't speak up for yourself, so you can put the pieces of your life back together. Know that if you've been injured, you are not alone. Our accident lawyer is here to fight right alongside you. Call us at 801-400-9860, or fill out our convenient online form on this page, and we will reach out to you to set up a free initial consultation where we will review the facts of your case.
Do You Have a Personal Injury Case?
Filing a personal injury lawsuit allows you to seek a legal remedy (damages) for the injuries you sustained in an accident or incident. The purpose of this type of lawsuit is to provide a way for an injured person to become “whole” again by recovering economical and non-economical compensation from the negligent or intentionally harmful party or parties. There are a few types of incidents that fall into the category of personal injury:
- Accidents - Accidents happen when someone is negligent or careless causing injury to another person. Examples of this type of personal injury include car accidents, semi-truck accidents, medical malpractice, slip-and-fall incidents, workplace incidents, and wrongful death.
- Intentional Actions - Intentional conduct applies to personal injury law, as well. Examples of intentional actions that could result in injury include assault and battery, sexual harassment, and sexual abuse.
- Defective Products - Personal injury laws also protect consumers who have sustained injury due to a faulty consumer good. This applies when a product's defect has harmed a person due to a manufacturing defect, design flaw, failure to warn, etc.
- Defamation - These laws protect people from statements that damage character and reputation.
If you or a loved one has suffered injury associated with any of the above incident types, Andrus Law Firm can help you.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Receive for My Personal Injury?
Do you have compounding medical bills? Have you lost wages from having to take time off of work? Have your injuries completely halted your income for the foreseeable future? Are you unable to enjoy the things you used to enjoy? Do you have prescription costs that you never had before the accident? Has an accident exacerbated a pre-existing condition resulting in more medical bills? If your injury has caused you and your family financial, physical, or mental distress, a personal injury claim could help you recover some or all of the past, current, and future costs associated with your injury. Talking to an accident lawyer in Salt Lake City about the specifics of your case can help you better understand what legal remedies are available to you.
Personal injury damages fall into three categories:
- Economic Damages - These damages are monetary and include things like medical bills, lost wages, loss of earning capacity, rehabilitation costs, physical therapy expenses, prescription costs, property repairs, etc
- Non-Economic Damages - These damages include pain and suffering, emotional trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), loss of consortium, depression, severe physical pain, loss of enjoyment of life, wrongful death, etc. These damages are more difficult to calculate monetarily, but a personal injury lawyer can help you do so.
- Punitive Damages - While these are less common, punitive damages allow a jury to award compensation to a plaintiff to “punish” the defendant for his or her actions.
The compensatory damages you'll receive for your personal injury claim are dependant on the facts of your case. A personal injury lawyer will help you evaluate your case to include compensation for all types of injuries sustained to you as a result of the incident.
The Steps of a Personal Injury Case
Part of the fear that comes with a personal injury is not knowing what comes next. At Andrus Law Firm, we're there with you every step of the way. We'll keep you informed about the progress of your case from start to finish, so you never feel in the dark. The typical steps of a personal injury case are as follows:
- Consultation with your accident lawyer in Salt Lake City - During the initial consultation, we'll discuss the details of your case, as well as review any associated documentation. From there, we'll advise you on our recommended next steps.
- Development of your case strategy - In this phase, your accident lawyer will begin compiling all supporting evidence, documentation, and circumstances, looking thoroughly at every aspect of your case to build a strong strategy to get you the settlement you deserve.
- Settlement negotiations - This is the stage where your personal injury lawyer sends the insurance company or opposing party a demand letter, detailing your case to secure the damages owed to you. Frequently, your attorney will get an appropriate settlement for you at this stage.
- Filing of the lawsuit - If the opposing party or insurance company rejects providing you with a reasonable settlement, your lawyer will begin preparing to file suit in order to get you the best possible outcome.
- Discovery - This phase is where we will request documents and other evidence the other side may have that could support your case.
- Trial - After a case cannot be settled out of court, your case will go to a judge and jury. This is where we'll argue your case to get you the compensation you need to get your life back on track.
Every case is different. Many stop at the settlement negotiation phase. However, some cases go to trial. This may happen for a number of reasons, including the insurance company lowballing your offer or the other party completely rejecting a reasonable settlement. When this happens, we won't stop. We'll keep fighting to get you the outcome you deserve just as we have for many clients before you.
Personal Injury Law Firm Serving Utah
When you choose Andrus Law Firm, you're choosing a legal partner who cares about you. We work hard to tell your story, protect your rights, and get you back on the road to recovery. You're not alone in this.
Our featured areas of personal injury include:
- Wrongful Death
- Car Accidents
- Semi-Truck Accidents
- Brain Injuries
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Bus Collisions
- Bicycle Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Catastrophic Accidents
- Birth Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Burn Injuries
- Construction Accidents
- Negligent Security
- Premises Liability
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Explosions and Fire Injuries
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Defective Products/Consumer Rights
- Bad Faith Insurance Practices
- Dog Bites
- Sexual Abuse/Assault
- Sexual Harassment
- Workplace Discrimination
With 37 years of experience, Randy Andrus and his team have helped give a voice to people who have had theirs taken, ignored, or suppressed. He's a trusted and experienced trial lawyer who truly cares about his clients, and has a proven track record of success in a variety of legal areas. If you've been injured, give Andrus Law Firm a call at 801-400-9860. We're waiting to help you.